SNAP helps qualifying people buy the food they need for good health. 
SNAP Overview
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as “food stamps,” is the largest food assistance program administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). SNAP is one of the primary ways we address hunger, malnutrition, and poverty in the United States. SNAP plays an essential role in reducing food insecurity and improving the health of our hungry neighbors. In Kansas, SNAP is administered by the Department for Children and Families.
How to apply for SNAP:
  • You can create an online account and apply for food assistance and other DCF programs using this link here.
  • Paper applications are now available outside each DCF service center across the state. Your completed application(s) may be left in drop boxes outside each service center. Or call the regional office at (785) 296-3271
  • Harvesters Community Food Network has an Outreach Team that can help you determine if you are eligible for SNAP, and navigate the SNAP application process. See more information here or call (877) 653-9522.
  • Note: as long as DCF offices remain closed due to the pandemic, there will be no in-person interviews for applications and recertifications. A DCF staff person will call you to schedule a phone interview.
Other things you should know:
Stretch your EBT food dollars with Double Up Food Bucks
  • With the Double Up Food Bucks Program, every $1 spent at participating farmers markets and grocery stores in Kansas will be matched with another $1 FREE so you can buy more fruits and vegetables, up to $25 more per day.
  • For more information, and to find a list of farmers markets and grocery stores participating in Double Up Food Bucks, please go to
Requesting an alternate person to use your SNAP benefits on your behalf
  • You can file a form to let another adult use your benefits for you. This could be especially helpful if child care is impossible and someone in the house is either immunocompromised or self-quarantining. Click here for the form.
  • You may call, email or mail the local DCF service center (see list here) to submit the form and make any changes to your assistance case.
Apply online on your own:
You may apply for SNAP food benefits online through DCF's website. DCF requires you first create an online profile which you can use to continually update and stay in contact with the state agency. 
Apply for SNAP over the phone:
To apply over the phone, call Harvesters
phone: 877.653.9522
If you need additional assistance completing the SNAP application, please call Just Food at 785-856-7030 or the United Way at 785-843-6626